Hoshizono's deduction show begins. By the time it's over, you, the reader, will have had your chance. You will have the ability to expose the culprit yourself. However, you can't find the motive by deduction.

 

Hoshizono's deduction show begins.


By the time it's over, you, the reader, will have had your chance.


You will have the ability to expose the culprit yourself.


However, you can't find the motive by deduction.






Everyone stopped and stared at Hoshizono. In silence, Hoshizono slowly put down his coffee and looked at each of them in turn. Then...

“It appears we'll be able to leave this mountain tomorrow. It has been an exhausting three days, with the strain of both being stranded and the murders upon us. Fortunately, we shall be able to resolve one of those problems tomorrow, and I believe I've been able to solve the other, the one of murder.”

The room went silent. The amiable atmosphere that had existed a moment ago disintegrated, and the dining room grew tense. After a strange silence, as though everyone were taking measure of their neighbors, Akane spoke up.

“Do you mean to say you know the culprit?”

“...I believe I do.”

Hoshizono's answer was clear. Yumi spoke fearfully.

“Are they here with us?”

“Of course they are.”

When the room went quiet again, Hoshizono nodded.

Had he finally done it? Kazuo felt emotion rising from deep in his heart. It seemed that Hoshizono had finally managed to grasp the truth. Ever since he'd seen him wandering around during the day, Kazuo had been waiting for this moment.

As Kazuo watched with agonizing anticipation, Hoshizono spoke in the same even tone as usual.

“Of course, I don't have solid forensic evidence. It's just my own logic that points to one person. That's why I'd like to ask you all: Will you listen to my thoughts?”

Hoshizono looked a bit pompous as he surveyed the room.

On the one hand, we can spend the night like this and leave everything in the hands of the proper authorities. On the other, I can explain my thoughts in detail and name the culprit. I don't mind either way. I'd like to hear your opinions.”

“I want to hear it. With things like this, the sooner you get it over with, the better.”

Akane lit a cigarette, having been a bit blunt. Asako nodded, and Yumi and Mikiko looked at each other before agreeing as well. Sagashima didn't say anything, but he didn't express any opposition either. There was a single shared will in the room to hear Hoshizono's theory.

After Hoshizono had checked everyone's reactions, he finally turned to Kazuo. His eyes were mysteriously sad. Kazuo silently lifted his chin, trying to send him encouragement. Don't feel bad for the culprit, sir. Don't hold back. I'm looking forward to this, too.

Hoshizono put on a face of resignation and turned away from Kazuo.

“I see. So everyone wants to know.”

He murmured sadly.

And, summoning his determination, he stood.

“Now then, what I am about to say is the product of my own reasoning. I will accept any objections, counterarguments, and statements of opinion, so consider this a discussion. First...”

Hoshizono took a deep breath.

“I am operating under the assumption that the murders of Mr. Iwagishi and Mr. Zaino were carried out by the same perpetrator, who acted alone.”

Hoshizono reiterated the reasoning he'd shared with Kazuo out on the snowy road. Incorporating Kazuo's counterarguments into his reasoning, his theory became even more solid.

“That is how I concluded that there is a single culprit behind both cases. Does anyone have any issues with this conclusion?”

“Of course not, get to the point,” Akane urged him.

“Very well then. Allow me to name this singular culprit.”

 

Previous Chapter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Next Chapter

 

Comments