Chapter One - Part Two - The Diary of Ryuuzen Ayaka

Diary of Ryuuzen Ayaka

August 21st, 1960

 

I can hardly wait for Grandfather's birthday celebration tomorrow.

The thing that's so wonderful about Grandfather is that he never gives up. Even after spending so long in the hospital and being confined to a wheelchair when he was released, he never showed us a single sign of distress. Although his legs have not returned to normal, he still manages to do almost everything on his own.

This morning, however, he wasn't wearing his pearl tie clip, which he always wears when he wears a tie. I asked what had a happened to it, and he told me that he hasn't been able to find it since last night.

In the morning, I read the novel given to me by Uncle Genji.

It's called “The Stars My Destination” by Alfred Bester. I like the stories that my uncle gives me because they're all interesting. But Mr. Koki is cynical and a bit mean, so whenever he sees me reading science fiction, he tells me “Girls aren't supposed to read that.”

Even though they're cousins, Mr. Koki doesn't resemble Father or Uncle. No, that isn't true. Father and Mr. Koki are quite similar in appearance. But their personalities are perfect opposites. I am very glad that I am the child of Father who is always so kind to me and not Mr. Koki.

After I finished the book, I went to visit Ms. Tonegawa. She was just preparing sandwiches for lunch.

Ms. Tonegawa is a culinary genius. She makes food that tastes as good as any restaurant's. Secretly, I really admire her.

Great-Uncle Soujirou's family arrived at noon. But this year, Great-Aunt Ikeuchi didn't come. Great-Aunt is an opera singer, and she's in Rome performing Carmen right now. I was looking forward to seeing her perform wonderful songs in the garden, so I was very disappointed.

Great-Uncle Soujirou is a thin man. It's been 13 years since he divorced my great-aunt. I wonder if he misses her. On the other hand, Tsukihiko said he was happy his mother didn't come. (This section is stained with mud). In the afternoon, I pretended to be a detective and searched for Grandfather's missing tie clip, but I couldn't find it. I wonder where it went.

That's all for my diary today. I'm going to bed early.









 

August 22nd, 1960

 

I don't want to write a diary. But when I lie in bed and close my eyes, all I can think of are horrid things. I never imagined doing nothing could be so painful.

So, I've decided to write down what's happened so far.

I was awake at 6:00, but my head felt heavy. Trying to go back to sleep was impossible, so at 6:30 I went to the dining room. Even though it was sunny outside, my head was foggy.

When I went downstairs, I was surprised. There were voices coming from the recreation room, even though it was so early in the morning. I looked into the room and saw Great-Uncle Soujirou, Uncle Genji, and Mr. Amamiya.

Their faces didn't look good... they must have been up all night. At dinner last night, Great-Uncle and Tsukihiko had talked about playing chess, and when I asked about it later, I was told that Great-Uncle spent the rest of the night playing billiards with my uncles.

Ms. Tonegawa's eggs and toast were delicious today.

As I was enjoying my cocoa and assorted fruits, Grandfather came into the dining room. Since today was a day of celebration, it was only natural that Grandfather and I decided to talk.

When I finished my meal and left the dining room, a commotion arose in the entrance hall.

I decided to be a bit mischievous and eavesdrop. ...They don't always involve me in important conversations because I'm still a child.

My great-uncles had disappeared from the recreation room next to the front door. Taking advantage of the lack of anyone else there, I put my ear to the door to the entrance hall.

“I understand that you can't believe it. But... Kyuichi really was murdered.”

Father was murdered? As soon as I heard, my mind went blank.

I could tell from the voice that it was Tsukihiko who was reporting the incident. He was breathing heavily.

“I wasn't the only one who saw it. Tsukie and Amamiya were with me, they saw it too. That is, we saw... Kyuichi's head.”

I think I screamed. Next thing I knew, the door to the entrance hall was open and Uncle Genji and Mr. Amamiya were looking at me.

I told myself it was all a nightmare, that everything would be okay as soon as I woke up. But as I looked at Uncle's bloodless face, I knew it was real.

I woke up in my room.

I was out of breath after sprinting upstairs in a frenzy. With trembling hands, I locked the door from the inside.

Uncle came up to the hallway and asked if I was okay, but I just wanted him leave me alone. I ran into the bathroom and cried. Uncle told me not to unlock the door and left.

I think he was afraid that the person who took Father's life was still nearby. (The following is stained with mud.)

I didn't want to believe that Father had passed away.

I couldn't talk with Father much yesterday. There were so many things I wanted to tell him, like about the deer I saw while I was walking in the Netherwood, or the book Uncle gave me. ...I want to hear Father's voice again. I want to tell him how grateful I am for all he's done. I want to tell him how much I love him.

So many thoughts welled up in my chest that I couldn't breathe.

I wonder how long I stayed there. Uncle Genji came back and asked me if I was ready to come out. I didn't want to.

He said “I want you to listen calmly to what I'm about to say. It wasn't just my brother who died. ...Koki was also killed.”

I was so scared I threw open the door and jumped into Uncle's arms, sobbing. Uncle hugged me tenderly.

“Ayaka, you're only thirteen. Grandfather also said it would be better not to tell you anything. But I thought that would be too cruel.”

I nodded my head, shoulders shaking.

“I want to know everything.”

Uncle Genji told me that while I was locked in my room, Great-Uncle Soujirou went to the Netherwood to confirm Father's death. He found a torso by the river.

At the time, Great-Uncle thought it was Father's. ...At the same time, Uncle Genji checked Father's room and found a headless body.

The torso that had been found in the Netherwood belonged to Mr. Koki. The rest of Mr. Koki's body, including his head, arms, and legs, were apparently found in the bathhouse in the basement of the villa.

Someone has done something to Father and Mr. Koki that's too horrible to even describe.

“Someone is targeting us. The phone line connecting us to the outside world was cut. That's proof.”

I was horrified down to the bottom of my heart. Uncle gave me a reassuring smile.

“But it's okay. Soujirou and I are going to go call the police. Once they arrive, I'm sure they'll catch the culprit right away.”

I went back to my room and locked the door. Tears welled up in my eyes again, so I went back to the bathroom. No matter how many tears I shed there, no one would know. It was the easiest place for me to cry.

Less than an hour later, Uncle and Great-Uncle returned to the villa. I think it was just around noon. I was still in my room at the time, but when I heard what had happened, I shuddered.

Someone had sabotaged the suspension bridge, and when the car approached the bridge, it fell. My uncles were able to escape, but the car is gone. ...This was done by the same person who took Father's life. I'm certain. By destroying the bridge, they've trapped us all here.

The culprit is still unknown, and no one has found a single clue. Grandfather told me “Stay in your room tonight, lock the door, and spend the night there.” I was afraid to be alone, but Ms. Tonegawa encouraged me and gave me courage.

As I write this diary, I feel my mind beginning to settle. I couldn't do anything today but cry, but I need to find out who stole the lives of Father and Mr. Koki.

Tomorrow, I won't cry. I must become strong, for Father's sake.

 

Previous Chapter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Next Chapter

 

Comments

  1. Y'know the protagonist of The Stars My Destination rapes a woman at one point? I wonder how Ayaka reacted to that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment